Thursday, December 22, 2011

What's In the Box?

Elaborate wood box Tom Tanaka

Sometimes I get stuck.

Actually, it happens a lot. I'll be writing, making good progress, when all of a sudden I'll come to a roadblock and the roll I'm on comes to a screeching halt.

For example, a character opens a box and says, "If you're going to join the search, you'll need these." But I have no idea what is in the box. I just know that whatever it is, they need it.

I know I could just skip to the next part and start writing and eventually it will come to me, but for some reason, most of the time, I just stop writing for awhile and worry about what is in that box. That stupid box taunts me and keeps me awake at night.

When you're co-authoring something, the solution is easy. Let someone else take a whack at it. While writing The Parting Gift I would leave holes and move on. I knew that if I couldn't fill in the gaps, Rachel would. But leaving holes when I'm writing on my own makes me nervous. Not sure why, but I just gotta know:
WHAT IS IN THAT BOX!?

5 comments:

  1. I hear you, Leah. That happened to me yesterday. It wasn't a box, but a huge question that hadn't occurred to me that I couldn't answer. I am currently staring at my giant, bright pink notecard with the question written in large capitals...instead of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all depends on what the story is about. It could be a weapon, map, piece of electronic equipment or just a smily face:).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got a call from your editor: Whatever's IN the box had better be able to FIT in the box. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love these things that pop up out of nowhere as you're writing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha! Oh, it'll fit. If it doesn't, I'll rewrite the dimensions of the box! ;)

    ReplyDelete