Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Connecting the Dots

One of my least favorite things about writing -- connecting the dots. The more I think about it the more I realize that is my least favorite about any artwork I do.

If I'm painting a mural I'd much rather do the focal parts first -- like the animals or the people, then I lose interest when all that is left is the background scenery. When I'm sewing baby quilts (I don't do anything bigger because it takes too long and I get bored with the pattern), I love to design and piece the top, but the quilting gets tedious really fast.

It's the same with writing, I'm afraid. The big scenes come easily. I know what I want to have happen, and I craft those scenes with ease. Those are the "dots". Those scenes that are the focal points of the story. I get in the zone for those, and when I finish, I step back and admire my work. Ahhhhh! I love dots.

The problem comes when I'm trying to get from one dot to another. The hoursI spend and the anquish I endure on the tedious transitions from one big scene to the next. I mean, it has to be there, but... UGH!

No comments:

Post a Comment