Thursday, April 18, 2013

A to Z: Names

Not gonna lie, one of my favorite things to do is name my characters. And ask any one of the students I've ever had, a good title thrills me beyond measure.

Sometimes I name my characters based on the meanings and how well it fits their role in the story.

In All We See or Seem, my villain is Joseph Admatha, a name that means death.

The nurse who ends up helping save the heroine's life is Miss Birger, a name that means savior.

And most of my stem's names mean "Twin".

I may have gone a little overboard on the name symbolism... What can I say, I'm an English teacher. I just can't help myself.

Who is your favorite fictional character? What does his or her name mean? Does it fit?

2 comments:

  1. I love coming up with character names too! Always enjoyed Anne Shirley's indignation when she was called 'Ann' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah, Visiting from A to Z. You are right a good title and good names can make all the difference in the world. I don't know who my favorite fictional character is; perhaps an Agatha Christie detective, or Sherlock Holmes. I did love thinking about what to name each of my kids and I did think about the meanings of their names and how it would fit. Enjoyed stopping by. God bless, Maria from Delight Directed Living

    ReplyDelete