Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A to Z: Lack of Personality


I know you may find this hard to believe, but a few years ago one of my friends told me that a couple different people asked her if I had a personality.

Yeah.

Like you I was slightly disturbed that someone would even say that, but then I realized... Oh, yeah! It's not true!

You probably don't know this about me, but I'm a little shy. Sometimes shy can come across as stuck up, and apparently it can be perceived as void of personality. But once you get to know me you will (hopefully) find that the opposite of those two things is actually true.

Anyway, shortly after that conversation with my friend I told someone else what she said, and that person almost peed her pants (literally) laughing at the absurdity. Well, in honor of my lack of personality I composed a little introduction of myself. I hope you find it as edifying and bladder-defying as I do.

(Read this in a monotone.)

The verdict is in. I have no personality. It is unfortunate, I know. Perhaps this does not come as a surprise to you. English teachers are tedious as a rule. I am no exception. My deadpan expression. My blank stare. My humorless chortle. Yes, it's true. I have no personality. If you're looking for personality, you've come to the wrong place. There's nothing to see here. Just go about your business.

When you see me in a room full of people, do not smile, or wave, or try to tell me a joke. I won't laugh -- not even on the inside. You see, I have no personality. And I don't care for people who do. I'll tolerate them, yes. But only because no personality also means no depth of sentiment. I'm shallow. I'm apathetic. I have no interest in my environment. No passion. No ambition. No variety of sentence structure. It all goes together, you see. I have no personality.

I'll leave you with one final thought. Since I have no personality, one thing I can never develop is a personality disorder. And, somehow, even that does not excite me... I have no personality.



4 comments:

  1. Then there are those with too much personality, which can be exhausting to be around. I know which I'd rather sit next to.

    mood
    Moody Writing
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also been told I seem stuck up or uppity, but it's usually shyness. I think it comes out in different phases of life. In college I was very outgoing and made friends easily, but later when I started working for a company where I was one of the youngest there, I felt intimidated. I kept to myself a lot, and I think that carried over into my social life too.

    "lack of personality" really is subjective; usually it's because you don't know someone very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge list to say "Hi" :)

    Awwwww, honey, im shy too...its amazing how often we get judged :(

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. How could anyone NOT have a personality??? I totally get what you mean about people thinking you're stuck up just because you're shy, I'm shy too and I'm sure I've gotten that more than once. It's funny shy people come off like that.

    Have fun with a-z. :)

    ReplyDelete