Saturday, December 24, 2011

Saturday Sample: Work in Progress

After what seemed like an hour, though Kynan knew it had only been a moment or two, Brother Leroy cleared his throat, drawing Kynan’s attention back to the cold black eyes. “Do you know why I’ve called you in here?” he finally said, his deep voice resonated.
Kynan looked at Brianna. She looked like she was about to faint. It dawned on him then that she had probably never been in this office. Of course she would be freaking out. It was up to him to take care of this, no matter how terrifying it was.
“No, sir,” he answered.
Brother Leroy raised a thick disbelieving eyebrow. “No ideas?”
“No, sir,” Kynan said again.
“I see,” the teacher mumbled. He stood from his chair and moved to their side of the desk. He leaned back on it and crossed his hands over his chest, then fixed his gaze on Kynan again. “Let me see if I can jog your memories. Do you recall a certain old reference book? Perhaps something that went missing from the library yesterday and then turned up again just now in the hands of your friends?”
Kynan and Brianna exchanged glances. Then Kynan looked back to Brother Leroy. “I don’t think so, sir. Did you say you lost it yesterday? What did it look like?”
“Very clever, Mr. Murphy. I am familiar with this answering technique, however. I ask a question, you evade it by pretending you know nothing about it.”
“I’m sorry, sir. I don’t know what you mean.” Kynan shrugged. There was no way Brother Leroy could pin this on them. He hadn’t actually seen them with the book, had he? And surely Michael and Caitlyn wouldn’t have ratted them out – well, Michael wouldn’t have. It wouldn’t matter anyway. He would just deny, deny, deny until the end of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment